Do You Teach?
Below is our instructor opportunity booklet. To view larger, click on the + at the bottom and/or click full screen.
Painting Water and Rocks in Watercolor: with Peg Sheridan
Tuesday, September 18, 2018, from 10 to 3:30 @ SVAC
Location: Shenandoah Valley Art Center, 126 S. Wayne Avenue, Waynesboro, VA 22980, or www.svacart.com. Phone is (540)949-7662
Time: 10 to 3:30, with 45 minute lunch break
Level: Beginner to advanced
Cost: $80, due by September 12. Make check payable to Peg Sheridan. Mail check and form below to me at: 201 Hunters Lane, Staunton, VA 24401. Contact me if you need to make other arrangements for payment.
Watercolor is the perfect medium for painting water, and you can learn how to do it in this one day workshop. We will work on painting reflections on a lake, sparkles on water, flowing rivers, and convincing rocks. The class will include demonstrations, color worksheets, and individual help. Please bring your favorite photos of water and rocks.
Materials List (call me if you have questions):
- A medium to large sized palette (or a butcher tray or white plate, etc).
- Paints: I suggest you bring the following: Ultramarine or cobalt blue; Prussian or Thalo or Antwerp blue; any green; any brown; alizarin crimson or any rose color; any yellow; and either Paynes Gray or Indigo. If you have white gouache or acrylic, bring that also (or you can use mine).
- Brushes: a small and a large round brush, a 1 inch flat brush, a rigger, and a scrubber.
- A pencil, eraser, and something to take notes on (or a sketchboook).
- A permanent ink pen, such as a Micron, size 2, 3, or 5
- A razor blade or Exacto knife
- An old credit card or any hard card, and a pair of scissors (we will use it to scrape into the paint)
- Paper towels
- A large water container (yogurt or mayo jar, for example).
- Professional watercolor paper. I recommend Arches or 140 or 300 lb. cold press paper. Do not bring Strathmore or Cotman paper. Cut or tear several (about 4) piece s to about 8X10 or 9X11 size. Also bring scrap watercolor paper (the backs of old paintings, etc.)
- A board to place your paper on. It could be a piece of foam core, wood, etc. It should be slightly larger than your paper. Also bring a small piece of wood or something to prop up the top of your board about an inch. Or you could bring a table easel.
- Reference materials to inspire you; photos, drawings, color combinations you like, etc.
NOTE: cut the form below off and send to me. KEEP the upper part.
Registration for "Painting Water and Rocks in Watercolor", September 18, at SVAC
Please send this form to me by September 11th.
Any concerns or special needs you have: _______________________________________________________
Please cut this portion and mail to: Peg Sheridan, 201 Hunters Lane, Staunton, VA 24401. Thank you!
Two One-Day Drawing Workshops with Steve Doherty
Saturday September 22nd, Saturday September 29th @ SVAC
Each workshop is $50
Steve Doherty, local author and artist, will offer two Saturday classes, one on drawing and the other on painting. They will be broad introductions to creating art, with demonstrations and one-on-one guidance. The classes will help you develop and improve your abilities no matter what your current level of experience.
The first class will be about basic materials, techniques, and style of drawing. The second workshop will focus on painting in either oils or acrylics.
Drawings will be done from live, clothed models whereas the paintings will be created from photographs you bring. (Steve will have additional images to consider).
Steve will be providing a materials list of essential supplies you will need for each class - stay tuned.
please contact Steve Doherty with any questions and to register for the workshop(s).
540-221-1935 or 914-610-1307
Mono Art Print Class with Piper Groves
Please stay tuned for date, time and detail for Piper's class here at SVAC
Clay Classes at Make Waynesboro!
Jake Johnson and his wife Katie opened Make Waynesboro Clay Studio, a fully equipped clay studio right in Waynesboro. They are offering wheel and hand-building classes as well as open studio space for experienced clay artists.
10% off classes for SVAC members!